Wednesday, December 4, 2013

From Internet Marketer to Christmas Wreath Maker


I left the Marketing world in the spring of 2009. I had put in a solid 20 years speeding down the Internet Superhighway and it was time for a break. I was out of gas. After taking some time off, I decided manual labor would be a nice change. I was hired at Skillins Greenhouses, a well-known and respected local nursery. What I noticed immediately was how well I slept after putting in a long day of unloading semi trucks of trees and shrubs. There was an overwhelming relief of not having to return phone calls and emails. There were no deadlines. I now punched in and out each day and packed my lunch in a lunch box. I liked talking with customers about soil and sun and planting. I liked moving. I liked dirt.



During the holiday season at the nursery, we sell holiday boxes, decorated Christmas wreaths and balsam fir trees (Abies balsamea). We also ship our popular State of Maine wreaths across the country. (I am in charge of shipping…200 to date, and counting.)


When customers enter The Christmas Room they comment on the wonderful balsam aroma. While we no longer smell it, we still smile and agree, “Yes, it’s amazing, isn’t it?”

So, during this holiday season, I leave you with some iPhone photos of me shipping wreaths, as well as some of my decorated Katahdin wreaths hanging on the windows of Stonehome Estate Jewelers on Exchange Street. I’ve made it!


Happy Holidays! Liz











No comments:

Post a Comment