Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Summer in the City and Why Giving Back Feels So Good




Summer in the City and Why Giving Back Feels So Good

It was July of 2009, I had just bought myself a nifty new toy, called a Canon 5D, and figured it was time to re-learn some of the basics. I signed up for a “How to Use Your Digital Camera” class at MECA, the local art school, not the gathering place of millions in Saudi Arabia; although a recent visitor from Saudi’s eyes lit up the other night as we drove past the sign.

After I got over the super weird fact that our instructor’s true passion was photographing dead light bulbs; I jumped into f-stops, shutter speeds, and ISO settings.

On Saturday mornings, the class explored the city practicing our new skills while shooting random tourists (with our cameras), bustling marinas, historic buildings and public parks.

One morning, we headed over to the Farmer’s Market in Deering Oaks Park. After getting the quintessential farmer-in-overalls-standing-next-to-vegetable-stand shot, we walked down a small hill to the kiddie wading pool. On hot summer days, the pools are packed with local children jumping in and out of mini geysers that randomly shoot water straight up in the air, sending the kids into hysterics.




A little girl in red struck me. I asked her father if I could take a few photos, he nodded politely. English was not his first language. Shy at first, she quickly warmed up to me and gave me cute smiles as she walked by posing for the camera. She and her little brother laughed as they splashed, jumped, and frolicked in the cool water.








As we were leaving, I asked her father if he wanted me to email him the photos. In very broken English, he told me he didn’t have a computer. I told him I would be happy to mail them to him. Excited, he scribbled his name and address on a piece of paper and handed it to me.

I spent the next few days creating a photo book on Shutterfly. When the book arrived in the mail, I flipped through it with pride and then carefully placed it in a manila envelope and with a big smile sent it off to the family.

I won’t likely see the Pang family again, but knowing that they have memories from that fun-filled day in the park, makes it all ok.

When you’re out and about, remember those who don’t have cameras or computers or modern day gadgets. Share your photos. You can give people a gift that others can't. Memories.


2 comments:

  1. I would love to have seen their faces as they looked at these beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. Me too. Thanks for being my number one fan, Dave.

    ReplyDelete